Time for check-in number eight. I’ve felt in a funk for the last month-ish, so I’m don’t really feel I’ve made any progress. Let’s have a look-see though.
- Work on my Novel – I’m editing my book again and it feels like things are getting there, although I’m often still unhappy by a sentence or paragraph. Well, I’ll continue editing away and see how things go. I also didn’t make a list of agents or start a query letter or anything. I did break down those tasks into smaller, more manageable tasks today, so hopefully I can make some progress next month.
- Ballet – I didn’t go at all this month. Or to yoga. It was a bad month for exercising. I’ll try to get back on the wagon this week.
Promotion – DONE!
- Get out of credit card debt – This is going really well still! I paid off a large chunk of my debt and am continuing to pay off my credit card at a steady rate. I wish it would go faster, but unless I win the lottery or sell my book I’ll have to continue paying it off one week at a time.
- In a relationship – Bumbling away. I haven’t met anyone in person though and most people don’t respond to my messages. Maybe I’ll delete the app finally. I’m tired.
- Meditation – I know this isn’t part of my big five, but it’s my monthly goal. I meditated pretty much every day last week and I’m pretty proud of myself. I get fidgety and anxious sometimes, but I think I’m getting better. That’s all I can ask for really.
So what is that? Two and a half out of five. That’s not bad. Not great, but I’ll try to better next month. I’m always thinking about ways to improve my schedule (definitely needs some improvement).
Like I said, I’m feeling in a funk. I haven’t been exercising so I really need to make that part of my life and maybe it’ll make me feel better. We’ll see.
121 days to go.
Last year I used Calm to try to get into meditation. It worked for the most part, but somewhere I slipped and then I went from meditating occasionally to not meditating at all. At the beginning of 2018, I switched to Headspace. I don’t think there’s a big difference between the two, but I am finding myself meditate more consistently. I think that’s just my resolutions though.
This week was a tough one since I had to work a few 12 hour days. Plus feeling sluggish after spring forward, I slipped up a little. But that’s okay. After recovering from all my work and that whole one hour of change (haha), I began meditating for a few minutes, and then five minutes, and now I’m back to ten minutes. I do think the monthly challenge helped me to get back on track more quickly than if I wasn’t doing this.
Hopefully this week will be seven for seven and I’ll just build from there.
128 days to go.
Eek! When I don’t have a thirty day gratitude challenge, I do not blog a lot. I’ll try to be better.
I found my January challenge of 30 days of Gratitude to be extremely helpful to me, so I’d like to continue my year with 30 day challenges. These may shift and move due to scheduling and how successful I was in completing the previous month’s challenge, but let’s at least try!
||30 Days of Gratitude
|| Didn’t do my challenge 😦
||30 Days of Meditating
||30 Days of Pictures
||30 Days of Piano
||30 Days of Buying nothing
||30 Days of Cleaning
||30 Days of Script Writing
||30 Days of Exercise
||30 Days of No Technology
||30 Days of Novel writing (along with NaNoWriMo)
If you recall, in February I tried to do 30 days of exercise, but I think it was too much too soon. I barely exercise once a week, so trying to do it every day for a whole month may have been too ambitious. I moved the challenge to September to try again. Hopefully I’ll set myself up to be better equipped to meet my challenge a few months from now.
In March I decided to do 30 days of meditating. I think it’s going okay so far. I’ve missed a day or two, but generally I’m setting aside some time each day to meditate, whether that be for five minutes or fifteen minutes (I’m not beyond that yet…). It’s tough to add regular habits to your life, so I’ll do whatever I can at the moment even if it’s just the smallest amount of time.
For the rest of the challenges – at the beginning of each month I’ll explain the challenge I’m going to do and the steps I’m going to take to ensure I complete it to the best of my ability. Let me know if you’ve decided to do something similar fro 2018!
135 days to go!
Time for my seventh monthly check-in! Gosh I really do need 30 day challenges to continue blogging. There’s just so much to do and not enough time and not enough will power. Blah blah blah. All the usual excuses. I’ll try to do better.
- Work on my Novel – Finished my third edit! (forth edit? – I can’t keep track). I’m letting it rest for the month of February and then I’ll edit it again in March. It’ll all come together…hopefully. In the meantime I’m compiling a list of agents I can query, learning how to write a query letter, writing a TV pilot, and working on a few essays to submit. (Gotta work on that rejection muscle too!)
- Ballet – I had to work a bunch over the weekends, so I sort of fell out of going to yoga and ballet, but I’m back at it! I did not do my 30 days of exercise like promised, but I think it was too much too soon. I’ll try to work up to just exercising 4 days a week and then we’ll see.
Promotion – DONE!
- Get out of credit card debt – This is going really well! I got my tax return and my bonus, so I was able to pay off a large chunk. I still have debt, but I think I’ll be able to pay it off much sooner than anticipated barring any major expense. I may not have it done by the time this “project” is over, but definitely by the end of the year.
- In a relationship – Not bumbling and didn’t go on any dates. I’m thinking of trying to find a club or activity I can do which will introduce me to more people for both friends and dates.
Seven months in and I feel a bit as if I’ve stalled on a few things, but this is why check-ins are good. I can snap myself back into working on the things I want to work on. And it’s important to note that just because I can’t cross everything off, I’m still moving forward. I’m working on my finances and my writing pretty consistently. Exercise is always going to be an issue for me, but I’m working on that too and I’m going more often than I used to. Progress not Perfection.
149 Days to go.
I know not a lot of people read my blog, but I always love the link round-up at the various websites I follow, so here are a few from me.
As someone who values her morning routine and tries to start her day off right, this website about My Morning Routine is really rather fascinating.
It’s hard to read everything about the #MeToo movement and all the allegations and truths which women have known about for so long, but for which we’ve never spoken out about before – I Made the Cinnamon Rolls from Mario Batali’s Sexual Misconduct Letter
If you like trying new hobbies, here’s a round up from The Cut of different ones to try in 2018. I have often thought about starting a blog or podcast about hobbies, so this is perfect for me.
And an Ask Polly about laziness, which turns into thoughts on identity and habits and investment into yourself.
Until tomorrow. Have a good Sunday.
163 Days to go.
Quick update! I have not been exercising because I’ve been working all the time. When I get home at 7:30 or 8:00 and only have two hours before I go to bed to get everything done, it’s really hard to exercise. I need to find a better way to get out of work on time and to also make sure I do my yoga or ballet. But this has always been a struggle for me. I have some thinking and planning to do.
165 days to go.
Eep! Happy February! I meant to start 30 days of exercise on the 1st, but I had to get to work early (and worked late) so it threw off my whole schedule. It’s hard to do things when you work overtime. (Also it’s hard to do things when you don’t work overtime because work is tiring.) So I’m starting today! Because it’s only the 3rd and it seems nice and neat to start 30 day challenges on the first of the month, but really you can start anytime!
The Plan: For the next thirty days I’m going to exercise every day
The Mechanics: The original plan was to do 30 Days of Yoga with True Yoga with Adrienne. BUT I already have a yoga class I go to on Sundays and I try to go to ballet several days a week so I don’t want to add on more things to do if I’m already exercising. So the days I don’t have class, I’ll do Yoga with Adrienne. And maybe I’ll finish the whole series even though I’m only exercising for 30 days. We’ll see.
Check-ins: Every goal needs an accountability system! So I’ll check in on Saturday of every week to see how things are going.
Let me know if you also have goals for February! And if your New Year’s Resolutions are going well! I need an 18 in 2018 check in soon.
171 Days to go.